Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Leave My Parking Space Alone!

My local chain grocery store reserves 3 parking spaces near the front door for adults with children. It's fabulous when I take my son with me because it's right near where the shopping carts are, and I don't have to cross the parking lot to get to the door. Every now and then, I drive up and all those spaces are occupied. No big deal, really. Glad the store is doing well because I want to keep shopping there. However, sometimes I glance into those cars in those easy-access, convenient parking spaces reserved for adults with children, and there's not a car seat to be seen. And that just makes me want to key those cars that are parked there.
Now, before anyone freaks out, I have never vandilized a car for a reason as ridiculous as being in a parking space I wanted. In fact, I've never vandilized a car, period. I understand that the store reserves those parking spaces as a courtesy, much like some businesses reserve spaces for pregnant women so they don't have to walk so far. It's not a law, and people without children can't be ticketed for parking in those spots like they could in handicapped parking. In fact, there's reason the store has to reserve those spots at all. But they choose to as a customer service option. And I greatly appreciate it.
So the next time you see parking for adults with children, don't roll your eyes because parents somehow feel entitled to better parking. We don't. And we're not. But when someone takes the time to do something to make our lives a little bit easier, it goes a long way. And when someone without kids takes those parking spaces, it just shows how selfish and disrespectful they are of both the parents who could park there but now can't, and the store where they're shopping that's trying to have good customer service but can't because certain patrons choose to take advantage.
People with children aren't special or entitled. But we really appreciate the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment